Thursday, November 15, 2012

Koi No Yokan

Koi No Yokan is the new Deftones album.

I love Deftones, and this album is no exception. It reminds me a lot of their 2006 release, Saturday Night Wrist, and it is the follow-up to 2010's Diamond Eyes. It is so emphatically THEM.

Unfortunately, as some reviewers have pointed out, they seem a little too comfortable.

I'll admit, the riffage on this album did not immediately reach for my throat the way previous releases have. I've been intrigued by several of the compositions thus far (most are straight ahead, some are a little spookier/more ethereal/shoegaze-ier/etc.), and after only a couple of listens, I know which tracks are my current favorites.

Nothing the band ever does will compare to White Pony, so I don't even bother trying to approach the album from that perspective. It seems to be a solid album. I like it a little better than Diamond Eyes, but not as much as Saturday Night Wrist (my personal favorite Deftones album).

But more importantly...

WHEN will Team Sleep release something new? I know this band seems to be mired in side-projects, but Team Sleep, and their lone, self-titled LP, may just eclipse anything Deftones have thus far released, at least for me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment