Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sexy Shoulders

A school in Utah came under fire recently after it was revealed that the administration doctored a bunch of yearbook photos. There is nothing odd about touching up and editing photos for the sake of quality and consistency, but there is something massively creepy about covering up a bunch of girls' arms and shoulders.

Apparently, these girls violated a dress code by showing too much skin and not being modest enough. Clearly, no one in charge of taking the pictures was ever actually made aware of this code, otherwise the photos wouldn't have been taken at all, right? I think The Young Turks do a bang-up job of mocking those responsible for this absurdity.

Some (indubitably) male authority figure finds the shoulders of teenage girls too tantalizing, and I"m sure he'll never have his sexual modesty questioned. As much as I find women attractive, it's hard for me to imagine the shoulders as a sexual object. Those rare moments when I find myself in the middle of highly misogynistic, objectifying banter, shoulders and arms are very rarely ever the body parts discussed. There's just too much effort required in sexualizing the shoulders, but I'm sure there are videos you can find online that will aid you in your visualization of this process.

And then there's this bullshit notion that is a lot more common, and a lot more general than the covering of shoulders. When I was in school, the rationale behind what constituted appropriate attire for females was that it should not be distracting. While having my female peers fully clothed no doubt helped me concentrate in class, no amount of Sharia shawling was going to stop me from being distracted by girls. It didn't matter what they were wearing, I was distracted by my female classmates. Hell, you could've taken them out of the room entirely, and I'd still have been daydreaming about female classmates.

I'll admit that back then I was a slave to my hormones. But I still find it absurd and offensive that I should not be held responsible for managing these distractions. All of this makes sexuality that much more arbitrarily confusing for kids, and subsequently adults. Instead of teaching our boys how to manage their own sexual desires and frustrations, we pile all of the pressure on the shoulders (now more literally than ever) of our girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment