Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Here's Why You Shouldn't Care about Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Pics

I first found out about the release of Jennifer Lawrence's nude pics (along with the pics of a bunch of other female celebrities nowhere near as popular as her at the moment) through an article imploring me not to look at them.

I agreed with the article, and then realized my newsfeed was about to be besieged in an onslaught of articles regarding JLaw's bare body.

I realize none of us have any choice but to care about this issue. We're all at risk of having our computers hacked. We all have said or done things on our computers that we'd rather the world not know about. We're not celebrities, so we have both less to gain and less to lose.

The media has gone so far as to call this a "scandal," cause, you know, celebrities, nudity, blah blah blah. I agree with Scott Mendelson, though, it's most definitely not a scandal. It's an attack. Naked photos do not necessitate the hacking and sharing of said photos. Lena Dunham tweeted, "The 'don't take naked pics if you don't want them online' argument is the 'she was wearing a short skirt' of the web. Ugh." I wholeheartedly share this sentiment. While rape and the hacking of nude pics are not the same crime, they both fall on the spectrum of violation. I shouldn't have to define "violation."

But, of course, people want it to be scandalous because people hate naked bodies. They shouldn't. It's dissonant. We love sex, we love suggestions of sex. There is nothing wrong with that so long as we are not violating others. Jennifer Lawrence is gorgeous. She has nothing to be ashamed of. I am not gorgeous, by my reckoning (have you ever smelled me? Seriously), but I shouldn't be ashamed of my browsing history, or the awful short stories I've typed and summarily deleted, etc. And yet for some reason I am ashamed. What the fuck is that, society? Shame serves a valuable function. You're supposed to feel bad when you've done something wrong. There is nothing wrong with the human body, and if you think it's designed by God then there's especially nothing wrong with it.

You should feel shame if you look at naked pictures of someone that you weren't supposed to see. You shouldn't feel shame if someone sees you naked. It's only complicated because we make it so. We're animals and we're going to die, and god forbid we acknowledge that from time to time.



No comments:

Post a Comment